National cultural monument, UNESCO World Heritage site
Originally a Gothic castle founded in the 12th century by the bishops of Passau, but in 1530 Valtice became the place of residence for the princely family of Liechtenstein. The size and the beauty of the decorations of the entire castle premises demonstrate the wealth of the family. A number of important architects of the 17th and 18th centuries gave it its current shape – Anton Ospel, Anton Erhard Martinelli and Antonio Beduzzi. In 1996, the castle and the castle park were listed by UNESCO as a World Cultural and Natural Heritage Site.